Friday, March 21, 2008

Spring Break







My little sister Morgan, her Mom (Debbie), and Debbie's husband all came into town for Spring Break. We had a great time and even took a day trip through Sedona and on into the Grand Canyon. Here are a couple of pics from the trip as well as some from Aaron's b-day. Update....all healthy so far after a final bout of some random virus which causes a scary high fever and lasts for about 3-5 days. All four kiddos got it, but we think we are done being sick.....please pray we are!

Well - I guess I have not filled ya'll in on our little scare week before last. Well, my grandfather (Pap) passed away on the 7th of March, so I hopped on a plane with Daisy and flew to Indiana to be there for the funeral. That was hard and wonderful. Hard to say goodbye to my grandfather, but happy he is out of pain finally. Also, great to be with all my brothers and sisters, cousins, aunts and uncles and grandma and great grandma. That part was neat and fun. Anyhow, the last day I was there...Tuesday the 11th....I got a call from the school nurse saying Kalvin was in there having a hard time breathing. So, I had his uncle take his inhaler to the school because Aaron was nowhere to be found. She told me his pulse ox was 79. (Whatever that means) A few hours later she calls me again and he is back in but this time it is at 76 (again, whatever that means). She tells me he needs a breathing treatment and to come and get him and take him home for one. Well, I finally find Aaron and he leaves work to bring him home. I am then out of contact because I was battling a 9 month old on a very long airplane ride while the guy in front asks the flight attendant.....i kid you not...."Is there anywhere else you can put them!" and then points to me and my baby. Anyhoo - not to get sidetracked....I got home at around 10pm that night and Aaron tells me on the way home that Kalvin is still having a hard time breathing and that before bed time he was starting to say his chest hurt. He had given him more than the recommended dosages of the inhaler and 2 breathing treatments. Then....well....sent him to bed. So, when I got in (sidetrack - no more diapers, so I had to pin a cloth diaper on Daisy to send her to bed with about 40 little pins because who in the hell keeps large diaper pins around) So....I go in to check on Kalvin and the poor little guy is lying in bed just gasping for air. I wish you could see me describe it, but suffice it to say it scared me, so I woke him up and got him dressed and we left for the ER. I wasn't panicking at this point, but I quickly learned I should have been. The next few minutes were a blurr, but right after we got there the triage nurse spotted him and brought him over to listen to his lungs, and within 90 seconds another nurse was listening and then immediately rushed us into the pediatric ER. Within another 90 seconds there was a dr. there yelling out words like STAT and giving me the "What kind of Mother are you" look! Apparently Kalvin was not far from dying. He was freaking out when I told him about that 79 pulse ox. He said the nurse should be fired and she should have sent him to the ER even if it was at 89. (I talked to my brother the ER doc later and he concurred. My Mom also told me that right before my Pap died....his pulse ox was at 72).
So - I sat and watched while they saved Kalvin's life. It took until 3 in the morning for them to be able to stabilize his pulse ox at 94 (they won't send you home until it stays above that for at least an hour). We treated him at home with round the clock breathing treatments and oral steroids for the next 4 days. I got home that night to find Sage in my bed with a fever of 104.....so started our week of the fever thingy during Spring Break and with company. So....now that all four of my children are no longer feverish and dying.....I am going to go somewhere for that breakdown I so richly deserve!
xoxo Mandy

No comments: