Sunday, March 30, 2008

Cowart ties plus other Fiji

All-
Hi from the pacific!!! We are having a wonderfus [this is mo better than wonderful] eternal experience. It seems that we have some mutual friends out here in the
Fiji Temple? Who you ask? We often go out to eat saturdays after we close the temple and today went to this chicken place [we can't remember the name]. Anyways I was telling our conversion story and the pres.said what was the name of that city in Texas? Bay City, I replied. And to our [ it's called Nando's famous ___ chicken] amazement they were in uncle Jed's old stake. My temple president’s name is President Richard Wells, and he had been a stake president, in the Seattle area, for quite a while. Then he and his wife Helen were mission presidents in Australia, for 3 years. They will leave here with almost 4 years in Fiji. Also the second counselor, Br. J. Nielson is from their same stake and also knew Joanne and Jed rather well. We were so surprised. It is a very small world! And again after think about the funeral they [Wells] did remember hearing Larke sing and Sandy and Walter. I’ve been told by a good source, that our world is indeed very small and that we will know plenty of folks in hell also!!! Weeell, were we surprised.
All is grand and the only new thing is to go whiteish colored hair or pretend. At first I thought, no go, on hair color here, but prevailing against all odds , it is possible. Jackie said don't surprise me mom, I must be warned well in time, We’ll see. But the current surprise is my Peter Pan hair cut. No curlers here.[really] There are no hot curlers in this entire place, and since I look closely like Peter's mum, I don't need a 55 buck hair dryer either!!!!!! We have found sultains for breakfast cereal and finely minced meat, for lunch. All were surprised at our finds. The folks are all wonderful, but never once do they venture out into anything new. Didn't know if bok choy was good, they didn't eat it anyways. and don't ask about capers, or japanese egg plant. So I surprised all for Easter dinner----Italian egg plant--in red sauce--- with imported cheese. They don't make cheese here--it comes from Australia or New Zealand.. DUH. No one died and all was gone. And just to freak'em out more I pulled off my bessttest ever---English Toffy cheese cake with New Zealand whipped cream. None can compare......


Sultains are raisins. Finely minced meat=hamburger meat.
And that folks equals = homemade hamburgers = on Fijian bread that does’t have enoufffffffffffgh salt in it. Also the bread has huge [ now that’s a porky pie] air bubbles, and that means the ketchup [Heinz from China] drips out the holes on to your jammies, because you are late to work and are eating standing up in the bathroom, spraying your hair with your new and hard to find Vo5 hair spray so you will look well coiffed in the laundry….. Byron loovves me to read my notes to him, but he is a little rat. Just because I said there are no hot curlers on this island---he edited my language. Well’ what do you think about the conditions I must work in?

We have been looking and talking to our friends here and have a few good tips about when ya’ll venture out here. The resorts here on the coral reef are different than some of the other resort islands. The big ones are mostly used by Australians and guests who don’t want other guests around. They are very pricey. But we have seen The Pearl and it has a golf course [Robert Trent Jones] and we would stay 2 nights. Includes 1 free hole of golf per guest. The rates we were quoted as [local] ……your dad is laughing his brains out as I read this part about golf. One free hole-now that’s a deal cookie. You know what I mean..[hopefully] We’ll take pictures next time we are out that way. There is a zip line over the rain forest also by the Pearl. Then we’ll go to Denareu island. It is by the big airport in Nadi. I have to run we are going out to dinner. I think at the Suva lawn bowling club.. Bula Vinka, Ya’ll love mum

No comments: