Saturday, April 19, 2008

Blake W & Ryan Roberson Quito, Ecuador

When Blake was on his mission in 1996 & 1997 to Quito, Ecuador I was Sr. Judy Roberson's visiting teacher. Actually it was the 2nd time I had been her vt. Judy was very concerned for her son's church status and had good reason to be. Ryan had been a golden child in a family with many problems. He had graduated from Eisenhower High School in Houston, and was attending West Point. He had many church experiences to shore up his testimony, but mostly he felt these were embarrasing and just brushed them off. His mission was to teach the poor Portuguese sailors in the seaport area of New Jersey. His mission was to show him how blessed he was, and to love the Lord more through this tough mission. Were much is given.....much is expected. His mission was not showy, flashy, or up to his standard, for himself, being such a golden child and he was just plain embarrassed about the whole 2 years. Don't think me mean or nosy, these were his mom's words, and I was her visiting teacher and friend.
While Blake, [that tall red headed, Wettstein boy] was in Ecuador the following happened in 3 months. I must say that I made fun of Judy's simple plan, and we as a family had many laughs at her expense. [I am still so sorry, but will always tell this story with myself painted as the fool] I went to her and she announced that Ryan was in Panama, and was serving as a MP [military police]. He was inactive and she was desperate.. She had been praying and had made the following plan; Ryan was to somehow find 'that tall red headed Wettstein boy' because he was the only good mormon she knew in south america. "How I asked?" She hadn't figured that part out yet, but it was a good plan she thought. I reported home her plan we all hooted with laughter. The next month we received a note from Elder Wettstein and were notified that he had been sent into the jungles of Ecuador because of an unofficial haircut!!! And he did this all by himself,too! You see in this country the native men shave their hair except for an oval on the top and coat it with a red mud-this is to show that they are native indians and were proud of it. So this stupid white boy shaved his red head, like the native men and was he the hit of Quito, for 3 days. And then off to the jungle for the pale white head to grow back and cover his little red pin head with lovely red hair. He [stupid red headed missonary] complained to the mission president that,"he would get skin cancer and desperately needed a hat". "No", you see the local drug kingpen and assorted dealers, they dressed like the Mormon missionaries. Yes, white shirts ,jeans and oh yes-a hat. Tough luck elder. See you in a few months, if you were lucky. So when I next say Judy didn't have the heart to tell her that Blake was AWOL from Quito. And to make matters worse she had added another person to the short list . The prophet. President Hinkley. This would be just the right combo to help her failing soldier. I just couldn't make the words come out of my mouth and say he was gone, just when he was needed, that tall, red headed Wettstein boy. And again I was the fool and laughed. And then God, himself stepped in and we received the following letter.- Mom and dad you will never believe what has happened. I am in Quito, at the mall. I bought new shoes - no holes for water and bugs to crawl into. My head isn't sun burned any more. He had written the note on the flip side of the paper liner his food had come in. He was eating a foot long hot meatball sandwich with extra cheese and jalapenos and the first cold drink in months. And that was were he stopped...... You will never believe this but I just look up and saw Ryan Roberson, in the food court in Quito. I walked up to him and he said "you are that tall red headed Wettstein boy, aren't you?' Why are you here I asked? It seemed the army had sent him to Quito to re-tool his portuguese into spanish. And way are you here, he asked. The Prophet is in town I said. It seemed he [ the prophet] had just changed his itinerary for south america. We just found out this past monday. It was a total surprise. We saw him this afternoon and he will be here this evening and tomorrow morning. It is just around the corner. Why don't you come? Somethings you should never forget and this is one of them. I always cry and feel so badly about myself. I'm crying as I write his note. Remember somethings you should never forget... Ryan,who was about to be raised to the rank of Lt. Colonel, was found dead in his apt. this last december 2006. He was not active and we never knew if he went to hear the prophet, Pres. Hinckley in Quito, with Blake ,that tall red headed Wettstein boy. He was bright and could have brought much to the world and spread the gospel in his many travels, but chose otherwise. His father, Ray, went through his golden child's belongings to find answers to his beloved son's life and found truths that pierce a father's soul. "Judy, he said" never open this trunk and always remember Ryan as a beautiful little boy who was now at home with his loving Savior." April 20, 2008

3 comments:

Blake&Ami said...

Just in case you want to know that is pretty much how it happened.

............................................................................... said...

"He was bright and could have brought much to the world"

What? He did. He brought a ton that I still feel the weight of today.

Ryan was a great friend to me from high school up to before his death. He did indeed bring much to my world.

I realize this is a family blog and I am a guest here so I will temper my comments.

Unfortunately I missed the event to celebrate and honor Ryan's passing and heard about it from fortuitous but convoluted channels months later. I never got to say goodbye but reading this blog posting today on July 16th, 2008, makes me angry. It seems to tarnish his memory and I wanted to post this comment to announce that Ryan had a lifelong positive influence on my life and that my family and I remember him often.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/that_L_do_pig/Ryan/DSCN0917.jpg

Rest in peace, dear friend, Ryan

Greg

............................................................................... said...

Sorry my link to the photo was cut off - here it is:

http://tinyurl.com/6lto9p