Sunday, May 11, 2008

Our little robins


One day a few weeks ago, the children and I sat
in circle time and learned a sweet song about three
little robins living in a big oak tree. 
Eventually, their mother tells them to fly and so they do.
  Later that very day, I see 
a robin sitting very patiently on a nest in our big oak tree.  
And the following day, there are three little robins 
waiting for their mother to bring them food.  We watched these
birds for a week.  And the first time I photographed them,
the mother robin sat on a tree limb of an adjacent tree.
She sat so still.  Just watching me for quite a while.
I was teetering on a very tall ladder hoping to get all three
robins at once.  Eventually, she flew off to find food.  I
surmised that she must have felt I was harmless and
her little ones were safe.  I watched the mother feed
her little ones everyday.  It was amazing.
 About a week or so later, 
I saw one of the little robins venture out to a nearby
limb.  And I knew that it was time.  They were going to fly.
The morning that I found them gone, I was so sad.
I mean truly sad.  I got over it just thinking about
how wonderful it must be to fly.  I tell this story because
as a mom, my little ones seem to be taking their own steps towards
flying everyday.  Sometimes, I am sad.  Mostly because they
are growing much too quickly.  I think about what I
appreciate the most in our mother...and it is this--when it was time,
Mom let me fly.  She didn't hover.  She didn't peck.  She was patient. 
She let me take my own falls.  If I needed her, I knew where she
was.   I can't imagine how hard it must of been at times
to watch me make my mistakes.  Just like the mother robin
watching from afar, Mom watched and waited.
Thank you for being what I needed...Much love, am

No comments: