Friday, February 29, 2008

Stay clear of us....




OK - update - The air quality test failed....3 times....We still cannot inhabit our basement. After the first failed test, one of my kiddos stopped up Kobe's toilet and let it run and run and run. We found the flood sometime around 3am. The water had to go somewhere right? Yep - right through the floor and into Sage's room. So, now not only was a lot of black mold found in her room after the failed test, but now she has a ceiling that was about to cave in from the heavy lake created on it. Well, we had the team there already, so we hired them for a "secondary" job and Sage now has no ceiling in her room anymore. Anyhoo - through all this they keep re-tearing out more suspected areas and now there is not a room in my basement that isn't missing some drywall. So - we finally passed last week and they were scheduled to come and start the putting back together part, and then.....well.....you are so not going to believe this.....Let me back up. Last Thursday I took Kalvin and Daisy to Urgent care because Daisy is just not getting better and Kalvin had been complaining of not being able to breathe and he had this horrible cough as well. Mind you, I have been horribly sick as well with a cough and well whatever the kids have been having. Fast forward....so we make it through the weekend, but Daisy is getting worse, so on Monday I took her to the dr. and he tells me she has RSV. Pretty scary, but we'll deal right. Then he is listening to me hack away in his office and starts asking me some questions about Kalvin, Daisy and my cough. I kid you not he then tells me to go straight to the lab and have some blood drawn on Daisy and turn in this culture he just took from her throat. He says, "Now I want you to go straight there. Don't run any errands and don't tell anyone at the lab why I am testing you OK". So I ask "huh?" Apparently he is suspecting we have whooping cough....yes... bordetella pertussis. An eradicated disease from the dark ages. He says he will call with the results and he won't call the CDC (center for Disease Control) yet, even though he is supposed to. Great right? I think he is nuts until he calls that evening to inform me that the bloodwork was showing we had whooping cough and the ENTIRE family was to be quarantined for 5 days and put on heavy antibiotics right away. I had to laugh because what the freakin' crap! Of course I would contract some eradicated disease right now. Well, Aaron freaked, so the dr. said after 2 days on the medicine and if he wasn't showing any symptoms then he wouldn't call the police if Aaron chose to go back to work. I freakin' kid you not...that is what he said. So, Aaron did just that! He also told me to expect a call from the CDC. Life is good, eh? The final results came back and were inconclusive, but he and the CDC are treatng Kalvin, Daisy and I as outbreak cases because of our symptoms and the blood tests. We have had to warn the school...well you get the picture. We are off quarantine, but still hacking away. They call it the 100 day cough and told us we could be coughing for another couple of months. Oh - yeah and Kalvin now has pnemonia to top it off!!!! So... anyone want to come for a visit? Just let us know! The pertussis, RSV and/or pnemonia will be on the house! teehee